Fire Phone & Accessories

Saturday, December 13, 2008

helping dogs feel confident during a pet portrait session

Helping Dogs Feel Confident During a Pet Portrait SessionWriten by Michael Waine

When a dog takes on the misery stance, we will see the tail between the legs, the
eyes looking away from me, and the ears down and close to the head. This usually
happens because the dog is unaware of the owners wishes and unsure of my
intentions. It my pet photography photo sessions this can sometimes be a
challenge. When the dog looks bored or frightened or tired, these conditions make
the photo session next to impossible.

I use a low key and soft mannerism with this type of dog and my task is to make it
feel safe and happy. Before I begin photographing the pet to be seen alone or with
his the owner, we first have our romping around time together. I take the dog into
a fenced in area where it is free to escape for a while to eliminate if necessary, but
more important, to be free to wander around and lose some of the stress they have
when they first arrive for the photo shoot. If I am shooting several animals together,
I do this with each dog individually and deal with them individually so they are not
fearing me. I am very persistent with the animals and I treat them as if each one is
the only animal of its kind in the world. I use praise and reward to get the dog to
become confident. I always have a small bag of treats in my pocket, sometimes 2 or
3 different kinds, and I watch to see which treat the animals likes the most.

When I now bring the dog in front of my camera, I flash the strobe lights several
times while petting the dog. If his tail is not standing, the tail can be made to stand
upright by brushing my hand with the lightest touch from the base of the tail to the
tip using a fast flicking motion. This works very well with cats too. Eventually, the
dog likes this and the tail will stay up. If I am working outdoors, I have also run with
dogs while on a lead and given the lead a quick tug. Since the tail adds balance to
the dogs movement, it will raise its tail when there is a jerk to the lead. The best
way to keep the tail up is by making the dog happy.

Most dogs are very clever and are seldom depressed. I ask the owner if the dog
knows how to respond to obedience commands and I reward the dog when it
comes, sits for me, and especially when it stays until released. I also verbally praise
the dog countless times (persistent positive reinforcement) until we become friends.
The dog no longer fears the photo session and now understands that this get-
together is all about him. By me being persistent, by returning the dog to the
targeted spot where my lighting will be optimal, and by constantly praising and
rewarding the dog when I get really good takes, I finally have the dog feeling
confident that the camera work will not harm him and that he is very special and
doing a good job. Everyone wants to know that they are doing a good job. Animals
are no different. They want to please us. I cannot shoot until the pet begins to feel
comfortable and happy. The ears and the tail go up when I squeak the squeaker that
is always near my camera. Sometimes the tongue comes out and I now feel that the
dog is ready to begin his portrait session. He is no longer unsure about the owners
wishes or my intentions.
He is feeling confident! I can now create a custom pet portrait that shows the dogs
personality. If the owner is to be seen with the animal, I ask the owner to maintain a
smile or pleased look continuously because animals never stay still. Capturing
wonderful moments takes control. With the owner looking good for a continued
amount of time, I can now work the animal towards a great gesture, a smile or a tilt
of the head, and big open eyes that reveals the soul of the animal!

Michael Waine, photographer

My goal is to provide pet owners with photographic art. I love photographing
animals more than any other photography work I've done over the past 30 years.
I am highly motivated by the recognition I receive from pet owners who allow me to
photograph their beloved pets and animals.
Please visit my website to see samples of my work at http://www.michaelwaine.com/pets

 

Compare Digital Cameras